It was the heist of the century—I scored two avocados for just a dollar while in Mexico. Yeah, I’m the Tom Cruise of avocado heists! Can you believe it? Meanwhile, back in the Big Apple, avocados were beautifully relaxing in their bungalows, laughing at their skyrocketed prices. Oh well, such is life!
Now, I’ve got to tell you about this life-changing event on my trip. There I was with these two affordable, luxurious avocados in my hands, tasked with creating something magical. And let me just say, the stars aligned as I spontaneously whipped up a velvety avocado crema to accompany some fabulous tacos. Pure. Bliss.
That moment illuminated a truth I never knew I needed to share with you all: I have the antidote to your avocado recipe fatigue. Enter the avocado crema, an underrated gem that’ll change the way you look at avocados forever. By the end of this post, you’ll be a certified avocado whisperer, and life will make sense again. Stick around; this avocado crema recipe could make even the priciest NYC avocado say, “Ah, the jokes on us, let’s all be a crema!”
- Avocados – The key ingredient that adds a creamy texture, healthy fats, and a beautiful green color to the sauce.
- Greek yogurt – A tangy and rich flavor that provides a nice contrast to the avocado and is packed with protein and other nutrients. Can be substituted with sour cream.
- Garlic powder – Adds a sharp, savory depth of flavor and has many health benefits.
- Lime juice – Adds a burst of freshness and acidity to the sauce, and helps keep the avocado from turning brown.
- Maldon sea salt – Delicate and flaky texture that adds a nice crunch and a subtle saltiness to the sauce. Can be substituted with regular sea salt.
- Black pepper – A tiny pinch for a nice kick and to bring out the other flavors in the sauce.
- First, grab your trusty food processor or blender. Toss in 2 ripe avocados, a cup of Greek yogurt (or sour cream if you’re feeling indulgent), 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, 3 Tbsp of lime juice, 1/2 tsp of Maldon sea salt and a pinch of black pepper.
- Hit that blend button and give it a whirl until it’s smooth and creamy. If you come across any lumps, give it another quick blend. You can also give it a taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- This dressing will last up to 4 days if you store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself eating it with a spoon straight from the container.
Serving Suggestions for Amazing Avocado Crema Recipe
Here are a few serving suggestions to get you started:
- Dipping sauce for your favorite Mexican appetizers. Whether it’s chips, tacos, or taquitos, this crema will take your snack game to the next level.
- Salad dressing. Toss it with your greens for a creamy and healthy addition to your lunch or dinner.
- Sauce for your favorite Mexican entrees. Pour it over your burritos, enchiladas, or even rice and beans for added flavor.
- Sauce for grilled meats or vegetables. This crema is perfect for marinating your chicken, steak, or veggies before grilling for an extra burst of flavor.
- Spread for sandwiches and wraps. Add a little extra creaminess to your lunchtime sandwich or wrap.
Did you know that the avocado is sometimes called the “alligator pear”?
Can I use sour cream instead of Greek yogurt?
Yes, you can definitely use sour cream instead of Greek yogurt. They’re pretty similar, so it won’t make a big difference in the final product.
How long will this avocado crema last in the fridge?
According to the recipe, the creamy avocado dressing will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator stored in an airtight container.
What kind of cuisine is this avocado crema recipe best suited for?
This avocado crema recipe is perfect for American and Mexican cuisine.
Can I use a blender instead of a food processor?
Yes, you can use a blender instead of a food processor. Just make sure it’s able to process the ingredients until smooth without lumps.
- Food processor or blender
- 2 ripe Hass avocados
- 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp. Maldon sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ? tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- Pit and peel the avocados and place them in a blender or food processor.
- Add the Greek yogurt, minced garlic, lime juice, salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, chopped cilantro, and honey to the blender.
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth, for about 2-3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning to your preference, adding more salt, lime juice, honey, or cilantro as needed.
- Pour the crema into a serving bowl and garnish with extra cilantro leaves, a drizzle of lime juice, and a sprinkle of Maldon sea salt.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
For a more traditional flavor, you can substitute the Greek yogurt with sour cream.
This crema can be used as a dressing for salads, a dip for chips and vegetables, or as a sauce for tacos, burritos, or enchiladas.