Crema sauce is basically sour cream’s cooler cousin. It’s made with heavy cream and sour cream, plus some salt and lime juice for extra flavor. It’s creamy, tangy, and refreshing. It goes great with tacos, nachos, rice bowls, sopes, tostadas…you name it.
But where did crema sauce come from? Well, according to my sources (Google :P), it’s a European invention that came to Mexico via Spanish colonists. Apparently, dairy was not a thing in Central America before Columbus showed up (poor them). So sour cream was a new and exciting product that adapted to the local climate and cuisine.
Nowadays, you can find crema sauce in any Mexican grocery store or restaurant. But why buy it when you can make it yourself? It’s super easy and way better than the store-bought stuff. All you need are four ingredients: heavy cream, sour cream, salt, and lime juice. And a bowl and a whisk. And maybe a spoon to taste-test (wink wink).
You just whisk everything together until smooth and creamy. Then you let it sit at room temperature for a couple of hours or overnight. This allows the flavors to develop and the texture to thicken. Then you can use it right away or store it in the fridge for up to a week.
That’s it! You’ve just made your own crema sauce at home. How awesome are you? Very awesome.
Now go ahead and enjoy this delicious sauce with your favorite Mexican dishes. Or just eat it by itself with a spoon (I won’t tell). And don’t forget to leave me a comment below if you have any questions or feedback about this recipe.
- Heavy cream – Rich and velvety texture, gives the sauce a creamy touch.
- Sour cream – Essential for this recipe, sour cream gives the sauce a tangy flavor.
- Sea salt – A pinch of salt enhances the flavor of all the ingredients and sea salt is more flavorful than regular table salt.
- Lime juice – Adds a subtle zing to the sauce, a perfect balance of acidity and sweetness.
- Take a small mixing bowl and combine heavy cream and sour cream in it using a whisk until it is completely smooth.
- Add in sea salt and lime juice and whisk it again until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Cover the bowl and set it at room temperature for 2 hours or, ideally, let it sit overnight for a richer taste.
- You can use the sauce immediately or store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
- If you don’t have sour cream, no worries! You can easily use greek yogurt in place of sour cream to get a lighter variation of this sauce.
- Try this crema sauce on all your favorites! This sauce is perfect for fish tacos, rice bowls, nachos, sopes and tostadas.
- Add some chipotle peppers in adobo and a tablespoon of adobo sauce for a spicy chipotle crema sauce variation.
- Make a cilantro lime crema by mixing in a tablespoon of fresh chopped cilantro for a fresh kick!
Serving Suggestions for Crema Sauce
Here are some ways you can use it to make your meals even more delicious:
- Drown your tacos in it! Whether it’s fish tacos or just your favorite filling, this sauce is perfect for adding a creamy tang.
- Take your nachos to the next level by drizzling this sauce over your favorite toppings.
- Give your Mexican rice a little extra love by adding a spoonful of this crema sauce.
- Make your bowls even more satisfying by adding this sauce as a drizzle or dollop.
- Tostadas just got a whole lot better with this sauce as a topping.
- Feeling daring? Add 2 chipotle peppers in adobo and a tablespoon of adobo sauce to make a spicy chipotle crema.
- For a fresh kick, try the cilantro crema by mixing in a tablespoon of fresh chopped cilantro.
What is Crema Sauce?
Crema Sauce is a traditional Mexican sauce made with heavy cream, sour cream, sea salt, and lime juice. It’s perfect as a sauce for fish tacos or any kind of taco filling, but also delicious on mexican rice, bowls, nachos, sopes, and tostadas.
What are some variations of Crema Sauce?
You can make Chipotle Crema Sauce by adding 2 chipotle peppers in adobo and a tablespoon of adobo sauce for a spicy kick, or try a cilantro lime Crema by mixing in a tablespoon of fresh chopped cilantro for a fresh twist. You could also try an Avocado Crema recipe!
Can I use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream for Crema Sauce?
If you don’t have sour cream, or want a slightly lighter variation of this sauce, you can definitely use Greek yogurt as a substitute. Just swap the sour cream out for equal parts greek yogurt.
How long do I need to let the Crema Sauce rest?
After mixing together all the ingredients in a small bowl, cover the bowl and set it out at room temperature for 2 hours or, ideally, overnight. This will allow the flavors to blend together and give you the most delicious Crema Sauce.
How do I store the Crema Sauce?
Once you’ve made your Crema Sauce, use it immediately or store it in an airtight container in the fridge. It’ll keep for a couple of days, but if you want the best flavor, it’s best to use it as soon as you can.
- Small mixing bowl
- Airtight container
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 cup Sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove of Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Chopped fresh cilantro
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Pinch of chili powder
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and sour cream until smooth.
- Add in the salt, lime juice, honey, dijon mustard, minced garlic, chopped cilantro, cumin and chili powder.
- Whisk thoroughly until all ingredients are well combined and the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Cover the bowl and set aside at room temperature to rest for 2 hours or, ideally, overnight.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
For a tangier flavor, try adding a little bit of white wine vinegar.
You can also add a pinch of smoked paprika for a smoky flavor.