Once upon a time, I was knee-deep in laundry when I decided to rewatch a classic from the ’90s that never fails to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside: Forest Gump. There’s that iconic scene where Forest’s mother dishes out wisdom in the form of a chocolate metaphor, saying, “Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.” I swear, I must have seen that movie ten times already, but lately, it compelled me to run straight to the kitchen – no, not for a jog, y’all!
Living in New York, you learn that every single day presents a new surprise, much like our dear friend Forest’s box of chocolates. And hey, isn’t that just a delicious reminder of why we should cherish life? While I momentarily forgot about my laundry, my little ones distracted me even further as they teleported into the kitchen, drawn by the celestial scent of cocoa. To fill our lives with even more chocolatey goodness (because, why not?), I orchestrated a chocolate sauce that’ll make you shout, “Hallelujah!” So, without further ado, grab your apron and pop that oven door open – we’ve got ourselves a mouth-watering mission.
- Heavy cream – Adds richness and creaminess to the chocolate sauce.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – Adds sweet and semi-sweet flavor to the sauce, adjust the sweetness according to preference.
- All you need is a microwave-safe bowl, a spoon or small whisk, and two ingredients: heavy cream and semi-sweet chocolate chips. If you don’t have heavy cream, you can use milk, or even coconut cream if you want to make it vegan.
- Add both ingredients to your microwave-safe bowl.
- Pop it in the microwave and heat it in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate chips and cream are fully melted and smooth.
- Stir it vigorously until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Now comes the fun part, the drizzling! Go ahead and pour it over your favorite desserts or sweet breakfast ideas. Ice cream, pancakes, waffles, you name it, it’ll make it even better.
Serving Suggestions for Easy Chocolate Sauce
- Drizzle it over your favorite ice cream flavor for a rich, chocolatey treat.
- Pour it over pancakes or waffles for a sweet breakfast.
- Use it as a dipping sauce for fresh fruit or pretzels.
- Add it to your morning coffee or hot chocolate for a decadent touch.
- Top your favorite cheesecake with it for a delicious twist.
- Make a fondue and dip fruit, marshmallows, or cake pops into it for a fun dessert experience.
Can I make this chocolate sauce using heavy whipping cream instead of heavy cream?
Absolutely! Heavy whipping cream will work just as well in this recipe, and will give you that rich and velvety texture that makes chocolate sauce so delicious. Just be sure to use the same measurement as you would for heavy cream.
Is this recipe vegan-friendly?
Unfortunately, this recipe is not vegan-friendly as it calls for heavy cream and semi-sweet chocolate chips which contain dairy. However, you can try using vegan alternatives like coconut cream, and vegan chocolate chips.
Can I use dark chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet?
Absolutely! You can definitely use dark chocolate chips in place of semi-sweet. Just keep in mind that dark chocolate is a bit more bitter than semi-sweet, so you might want to adjust the amount of sugar to your taste. And, who doesn’t love a little dark chocolate, right?
How long does this chocolate sauce last in the fridge?
You can store this chocolate sauce in the fridge for about 2 weeks in an airtight container. Just give it a good stir before using it. And, if you want to reheat it, use a double boiler or heat it in the microwave in short intervals, stirring in between until it reaches the desired consistency.
Decadent Dark Chocolate Sauce
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Spoon or small whisk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (70% cocoa)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the heavy cream, dark chocolate chips, unsalted butter, vanilla extract, sea salt, and instant coffee (if using).
- Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring well between each interval, until the chocolate is fully melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Serve warm over your favorite dessert or breakfast dish, or store in the refrigerator for later use. Reheat in the microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring well, until the desired consistency is achieved.
Instant coffee enhances the flavor of the chocolate and adds depth, but it can be omitted if desired.
To make a thicker sauce, add an extra tablespoon of butter or chocolate chips.